How you can Discover Transcription Jobs within the UK
Reading time: 5 min
Are you a good typist? A good listener? Or do you just spend a lot of time typing on your computer? You could make money as a transcriptor. It’s a great way to supplement your income and it can be done from home. Ideal for anyone looking for flexible working hours. Find Out About Transcription Jobs in the UK – is Transcription Right for You and Where Can You Find Work?
What is transcription?
Transcription is the process of converting speech or audio into a written document. It’s a crucial way for companies to document everything from discussions and focus groups to formal interviews with legal records. Medical advisors also rely on transcriptionists to get their papers done.
All research must be analyzed and processed. The easiest way to do this is with a written document. A large number of companies have to do some form of transcription work, and since the work is time consuming it is almost always outsourced.
There are two types of transcription – verbatim and edited. The type of transcription used depends on the purpose of the transcription and what is to be extracted from it.
This is a literal type of translation designed to record how something is said. This means that all pauses, errors, interjections, repetitions and stutters should be included.
This can be important in:
- Research that depends on how something is said
- Qualitative research where intonation is important
- Transcripts for legal and evidential purposes
- Psychological research
- Interviews from journalists on factual accuracy
Sometimes this is also referred to as “clean transcription”. This type of transcription is designed to ensure that the content of a conversation is written in a legible form, that it is easy to read, and that it is grammatically correct.
This type of transcription can be used for:
- Meetings where topics and notes need to be published
- Qualitative research that focuses on content
- Interviews that serve as a basis or structure for articles and documents
- Notes recorded for personal use
Could I be a transcriptionist?
Transcription jobs can be a great way to work from home. They are an ideal option for those who want to manage their own time and the hours they work, with the flexibility to handle family responsibilities and other obligations.
What does a transcription job include?
For transcription assignments, various audio and video recordings are listened to and converted into written reports. The transcription covers a wide range of areas. Entertainment, journalism, market research, medicine and law. In general, you don’t need to have any experience to become a transcriptionist. In fact, all you need to do is have basic computer skills and be a competent – fast typist. Most transcription agencies require transcripters to pass a speed and accuracy test to ensure they are up to their standards.
In some cases, however, experience may be required for more specific and specialized areas of transcription, such as medicine. The upside is that these types of transcription jobs also pay more.
What skills does a transcriptionist need?
- Good language skills – In most cases, the quality of the footage will vary and some may be difficult to track. Therefore, a good understanding of what you are hearing is beneficial.
- Listening skills – Transcripters must be able to listen carefully to audio recordings and interpret them according to the context.
- Accurate and fast typing speed – Ideally, a transcriptor can enter at least 80 words per minute. Take a typing test to find out how fast you are. Also, most businesses require 98% accuracy. The more precise your input, the fewer changes you have to make later.
- discretion – In some cases, you may be transcribing sensitive audio and information. Hence, professionalism and the ability to be discreet are required. Especially in those cases where you are dealing with personal information from customers and individuals.
- Computer skills – Since you are working remotely, you must be familiar with the computer and be competent enough to use basic computer programs.
Resources on Finding Transcription Jobs in the UK
There are many websites out there to help you find transcription jobs. Especially since most of the transcription work is outsourced – there are many options and there is always a solution. There are many transcription jobs in the UK – and overseas too. If you register with an agency based in the USA, Canada or Australia, please note that your transcription must be in this English version.
Use transcription job websites
There are so many transcription sites out there. Some of the most popular are TranscribeMe, Go Transcript, and Daily Transcription. For most websites, all you need to do is sign up, take a quick quiz, and transcribe test audio to see if you meet their requirements.
With all of these transcription sites on hand, you can decide which hours to work freely and even choose which hours to work. It’s an ideal job for college students and anyone looking for flexible work that they can integrate with other commitments.
Apply to agencies
Other places to look for transcription work are agencies. Sterling Transcription, Premier Transcription, and TypeOut are popular options working with customers around the world. Apply online through their websites and become part of their transcription service.
Approach local businesses
Local businesses, news outlets, and publications will likely do all of the transcription work. Because this work is so time consuming and the number of employees may already be limited, they will generally try to outsource this work to independent contractors and freelancers.
Check social media
For many companies, social media is one of the most effective ways to reach a large audience. Posting job opportunities on social channels is a popular way to promote new opportunities. So keep an eye on social pages and Facebook groups and use hashtags to make your search easier.
Fiverr is an online marketplace for professional services with project-based pricing. You can set up a freelance and advertise on Fiverr so that companies that are actively searching can find you.
More useful reading
Looking for more ideas on how to make money remotely? Check out these articles next: