Working overseas after Brexit: visas and taxes defined

Reading time: 7th min

Working abroad after Brexit will now change now that the UK has left the European Union. There are currently three quarters of a million British expats living in the EU.

You may still be interested in joining the nearly one million Britons in the EU despite Brexit. However, before you fly off to seek a different lifestyle, you need to know all of the new visa and tax requirements. If you’ve already read the rules and found them confusing, you’re in luck. Here at Money Magpie we have put together a seven step guide to give you all the information you need.

  1. Who Needs a Visa?
  2. Where can I find visa information?
  3. Entertainment visas
  4. Countries with digital nomad visas
  5. Where do you pay taxes?
  6. Your entitlement to benefits
  7. Your state pension

Who Needs a Visa?

Those who have planned a vacation in the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland in 2021 will be relieved to know that they do not need a visa. Although coronavirus restrictions can ruin vacation plans. Keep an eye on the official advice from the Federal Foreign Office. And if you take the risk of booking ahead of time, make sure you get travel insurance when you book in case the pandemic ruins your plans!

Of the January 1, 2022British vacationers looking for the sun and places in the EU must apply for an ETIAS (European Travel Information and Authorization System). An ETIAS is a three year visa waiver that costs £ 6.35 for those three years. Travelers are encouraged to apply online. When applying, you will need to provide details such as your age, previous criminal convictions and your accommodation address.

UK residents can only spend 90 days out of 180 vacation days in Europe. You may want to stay in the EU longer, which means you will need a visa.

You will also need a visa if you work abroad after Brexit. In some cases, you may also need a work permit from your host country. Visas are required by UK residents attending a conference, providing services to a charity, touring as a musician, or moving to a European office of your company.

Where can you find visa information?

There is currently no EU-wide visa. Instead, you need to apply for one individual visa with your host country if you want to work abroad after Brexit.

Those who worked in the EU before January 1, 2021 will be relieved to know that their right to work is protected. However, if you work or live in the EU, you must register as a resident of that country by June.

If you are based in the UK and still want to work abroad after Brexit, you will need a job offer from the employer in your chosen host country. You need this offer to start your visa journey. Once you have received your offer, you should contact the UK embassy closest to your desired host country.

The London Diplomatic List contains all the contact details for each embassy. We recommend contacting the embassy by phone or email as the UK currently has coronavirus restrictions.

The embassy can give you information about what you need to do to work in your desired host country.

You can also read country requirements through the UK Government’s Living in Guide. Simply search for your desired country here.

VISA example: Italy

Miss X currently lives in Bristol and has a British passport. She was offered a job by an Italian company based in Rome. Miss X decides to accept the company’s job offer.

  • She just cannot get on a plane and start work as freedom of movement between the UK and the EU has ended.
  • Instead, Miss X has to check Italy’s visa requirements through the tool “Where do you live?” Check what can be accessed here.
  • Ms X’s Italian employer must apply for her work permit.
  • Once her employer has obtained the work permit, Ms. X can apply for an Italian visa at an Italian embassy in the UK.
  • Once Ms. X has obtained the visa, she can apply for a residence permit, which means that Ms. X can legally live and work in Italy.

The visa application process is different for each country. So be sure to check the individual guidelines.

EU Blue Card

You may be classified as a highly skilled worker and can apply for an EU Blue Card.

This card gives non-EU workers the right to live and work in Europe after Brexit. To apply for an EU Blue Card, you must have a university degree (e.g. a university degree), work as a paid employee and have a salary one and a half times the average national salary. You’ll also need to provide a binding employment contract along with full travel and legal requirements.

Your European employer must submit an application form on your behalf. You may be charged a registration fee.

Warning! You cannot apply if you are an entrepreneur or self-employed. It also does not apply in Denmark and Ireland.

Entertainment visas

Entertainments visas are required to work abroad after Brexit

Working overseas after Brexit is now different for UK musicians, artists, bands, actors and crews transporting equipment. Those who work in the above industries need to obtain an additional work permit if they want to work in Europe.

British musicians, bands and artists can only tour for 90 days in a 180 day period. This is very similar to the tourist requirements that UK residents must follow. Entertainers who decide to perform in France and the Netherlands do not need an additional work permit.

However, if you want to perform or work in Germany or Spain, you need an additional work permit. The Incorporated Society of Musicians has created a full list of the work permits you may need to apply for as a touring musician. This list can be accessed here.

A number of high profile celebrities have condemned the end of the visa-free tour. Government guidelines could change in the coming weeks and months in response to the backlash. So keep up to date with the latest guidelines.

Digital nomad visas

Over the course of 2020, the whole world has adjusted to working from home. If you work from home, you can imagine working by the sea and in the sun in Europe.

The majority of remote workers cannot apply for a traditional visa. Your employer may still be based in the UK, or like other digital nomads, you may not even have an employer. These two factors prevent many remote workers from applying for a visa.

Instead, digital nomad visas legalize the status of traveling professionals

Each country that issues a nomad digital visa has its own guidelines and regulations. Countries with digital nomad visas in the EU include: Germany, the Czech Republic, Portugal, Croatia, Norway and Estonia. There are also a number of other non-EU countries that also have digital nomad visas. This means that you may still be able to work abroad with your laptop after Brexit.

To apply for a nomad digital visa, you must have a valid passport and be able to prove that you have a stable income. You will also be asked to provide your nationality, visa history and a criminal record. You may also have to pay an application fee as well as additional documents.

As with other visas, you need to check the individual instructions for your desired host country.

Example of a digital nomad visa: Germany

  • Miss X is a freelance writer who has decided to write in Munich for some time.
  • She has several customers in Germany from various publishers. This means that Miss X has a stable income and a strong customer base.
  • She also has a valid British passport and has no criminal record.
  • Since Miss X works as a freelancer, she can apply for a digital nomad visa.
  • To apply, Ms. X must register with the German tax office. She must also submit a portfolio and bank statements and demonstrate her expertise.

Warning! Remote workers have also been in legal gray areas for years. Always check the requirements of your desired host country before attempting to work in that country.

Where do you pay taxes?

Working abroad after Brexit can affect how and where you pay taxes

Now that you’ve studied the visa requirements, you need to understand how taxes work if you want to work abroad after Brexit.

If you are not a UK resident, you do not have to pay tax on your overseas income. You will automatically be considered non-UK resident if you have been working abroad full-time and have worked in the UK for less than 16 days.

However, if you are a UK resident you will have to pay UK tax. In order to determine your residence status, you need to indicate where you spend most of your working days in a tax year. If you have been in the UK for 183 days and your only home is in the UK, you will have to pay tax on your overseas income.

In order to pay taxes on your foreign income, you need to file a self-assessment tax return. Read our handy guide on how to submit a return here.

Notice! You may be able to apply for tax breaks if you are taxed in more than one country. If you think it could be you, read the UK government guidelines.

Your entitlement to benefits

After January 1, 2021, the rules for paying some UK benefits have changed in the EU, EEA and Switzerland.

For those who already received benefits during their stay in the EU, EEA or Switzerland, it is a relief to hear that you will continue to receive these benefits. This applies as long as you meet the other admission criteria.

If you move to the UK after that date, you will still be able to get the following benefits: funeral and other funeral benefits, accidental benefits, maternity, maternity, paternity and sickness benefits. As before, you need to prove that you are entitled to these benefits.

If you have made relevant social security contributions in an EU country, you may be eligible for benefits in the UK. These include the New Style Jobseekers Allowance and the New Style Employment and Support Allowance. If you are going to work abroad after Brexit, check out where you will pay social security contributions here.

The guidelines for British expats in Norway, Iceland, Lychisutein and Switzerland are currently being updated.

Your state pension

You can continue to receive your state pension if you live in the EU, EEA or Switzerland. Your pension will also increase according to the rate paid in the UK.

While this guide applies to UK nationals, you will again learn that the state pension rules apply to everyone. So if you decide to retire in the EU in the future, you should be able to claim a state pension.

Useful reading

If you found this article useful, you may also like:

Comments are closed.